Intro Unit --
- Themes of Geography
- World Bank mini-essay
Economic Development --
- Measuring a Country's Development: Economic
Indicators and the "Genuine Progress Indicator"
- CIDA map exercise
- Theories of Economic Development: trying to
explain differences between countries in history and
- Projects: creating and evaluating an
economic development project in a developing country. Projects
will be presented. (Quad. 4)
- why study geopolitics?
- differences between nations
- United Nations: effective force for good or
ineffective costly bureaucracy?
- Current Geopolitical Issue: Israel and the
- Projects: research and write an essay on a
country or geopolitical issue in which tools of geopolitical
analysis are applied to the new case. (Quad. 3)
- Economic Progress vs. Environmental
Protection: video, Economist survey on Development and the
- environmental degradation in land, water,
and air (text)
- Controversy: Resource Depletion and the
- Bjorn Lomborg: The Skeptical
Environmentalist and its critics
- environmental presentations
- world population growth; differences
- is growth too fast? Controversy: U.N. and
Chinese policies and their critics.
- population pyramids
- computer lab
Food and Agriculture
- Inequalities in Food Supply: Why are some
areas plagued by starvation and malnutrition?
- Controversy: Genetically Modified